Smart specialisation scholarships for PhD students
The smart specialisation scholarships are paid to the PhD students of Estonian universities who conduct a research related to the smart specialisation growth areas. The aim of the scholarship programme is to encourage the PhD studies in smart specialisation growth areas, increase the number of students graduating from university with PhD degrees in these areas, and, as a result, give an incentive to the industries acting in the growth areas, support cooperation between R&D institutions and companies, diversify the career prospects of PhD graduates and contribute to the capacity building of research-intensive industry sector.
The scope of the thesis of the PhD student shall be related to one of the smart specialisation growth areas:
- information and communications technology (ICT) horizontally through all sectors, e.g. using ICT in industry (automation and robotisation), cyber-security, software development
- health technologies and services, e.g. biotechnology, e-health
- more efficient use of resources, e.g. material science and industry, "smart house", health-promoting food, chemical industry
In 2019, doctoral students can apply for Smart Specialisation scholarship only to support industrial PhD!
Doctoral student has the right to apply for the scholarship if :
- he or she is matriculated in doctoral studies in the academic years from 2014/2015 to 2018/2019
- he or she is a citizen of the Republic of Estonia or resides in Estonia on the basis of a longterm or temporary residence permit or has a permanent or temporary right of residence or is staying in Estonia on the basis of a visa or visa-free if an agreement has been entered into with a foreign state for visa-free travel or the visa requirement has been waived for the citizens of a foreign state and he or she has applied for a temporary residence permit for study
- he or she is a full-time student
- he or she has not exceeded the nominal duration of studies of the curriculum
- he or she is not on academic leave
- his or her doctoral thesis is related to one of the smart specialisation growth areas and is responsive to the needs of industry, addressing the practical problems of specific sector/company or contribute directly to implementation of research findings in everyday industry practice (industrial PhD). The involved companies may be located in Estonia or abroad. The technology competence centers, R&D and public sector institutions, or hospitals and clinics cannot be considered as an industry for the purpose of smart specialisation scholarships
- he or she has a valid employment contract with the company with which the doctoral thesis is being prepared
The amount of the scholarship is 440 euros per month and is payd during the nominal period of studies. No other costs can be covered.
Smart specialisation PhD scholarship is paid in addition to the doctoral allowance (660€) paid by the government.
Smart specialisation PhD scholarship can not be paid at the same time with other doctoral scholarships paid from other EU sources (for example Smart specialisation PhD scholarship and Dora Plus or IT-Academy doctoral scholarship can´t be paid at the same time).
In order to apply for the scholarship, the applicant shall submit:
NB! Cooperation agreement shall be signed with the company! You can find the project of the agreement HERE.
Application deadline is October 15!